Posts tagged ‘bad websites’
One pub’s website drove me truly crazy. Its home page was a 30-second flash animation that sloooooowly revealed its menu items.
That’s not where I ended up going that evening. I never learned where that pub was located.
It got me thinking about the many ways websites drive me crazy:
- flash intros
- video clips automatically launching when I go to a website (ESPN is the worst)
- pop ups that bypass the browser’s pop-up blocker
- ads that load first, before the content, jamming my browser
- rollovers that blow up in my face – with a hard-to-find “close” button
- subscription notices nine months before it expires – without telling me when it expires
- being forced to register to see free content on a page. Then, it demands every demographic data about me possible
- long online surveys that don’t tell me how much longer it take me to finish it
- webinars that always happen during the middle of the business day
- unsolicited news releases by e-mail, without an unsubscribe
Sites that indulge in these aggravations share a sincere contempt for their user. They put their own goals before users, and keep them on a short leash. Bad idea. When I see these things, I leave.
What do YOU hate about the web?